AddMe - Search Engine Optimization Book Printing Forum: Printing Promotional Books From the Public Domain

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Printing Promotional Books From the Public Domain

When I owned my book printing company, we gave away blank books as promotional items. Each book had a 4-color cover with our contact information, logo, etc. The interior pages were blank so the book could be used as a notebook or journal. This idea was fine, but I think it can be improved upon.

If I had it to do over again, I would reprint titles in the public domain, customize them with my logo and contact information and distribute them to my clients. Naturally, I would choose titles that I thought would benefit my clients and prospects. If they read the books, it would make them think of me. Even if they didn’t read the books, each book reinforces the fact that I print books.

The titles I would choose are business titles since most of my book-buying customers were business people. There are many good business titles in the public domain. Among my favorites are Acres of Diamonds by Russell Herman Conwell and As a Man Thinketh by James Allen. These titles, and more, are available from Project Gutenberg at www.gutenberg.org. The texts can be downloaded for free since these titles are in the public domain and produced without paying a royalty.
The titles would require the book printer to format, typeset, customize and print the books. These steps cost money. The finished book, however, would be a one-of-a-kind promotional item that any sales person would be pleased to distribute.

The idea needn’t stop with promotional items for one’s own book printing business, either. The same book can be customized and offered to non-book printing customers for their own promotional use. Thus, a free asset from the public domain can generate revenue for book printers willing to invest the time to sell the concept.

Some book printers use samples of their customers’ books as promotional items. This practice is fine, but you must obtain permission from the author/publisher to use their books as samples. Titles in the public domain don’t require any permission to use.

When thinking about promotional items for your book printing business, don’t overlook the obvious—reprinted titles from the public domain. They are easy to obtain, produce and distribute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home